Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ben's Valentine's Day Surprise!

Those of you who know Ben well, know that he hates to be called, "Benny", a fact that my mother is very aware of. You will also know that Ben hates to be the center of attention, another fact my mother is very aware of. For Valentine's Day this year, my mom thought it would be funny to take something embarrassing in to Ben at his work, just for fun. For those of you who are thinking, "That doesn't sound like Megan's mom", you don't actually know her very well! My mom loves jokes and pranks-as long as they are good natured. And, she knows that my awesome husband happens to be VERY good natured. So-here's what happened!

She made him a giant sugar cookie and frosted it. Notice the Benny Boo on it.
She got a bouquet of ostentatious balloons.
And she found some awesome heart glasses to wear. This is her right before we walking into the building to deliver Ben's surprise!
He was shocked! So totally unexpected, and my mom walked into the room (where all of the other developers also are) calling out in a high, silly voice: "Benny?! Is my Benny Boo in here?!" It took Ben a half a second to process that: a) this was my mom, b) she was calling him Benny, and c) that I was right behind her with Noah and a camera.
Then he just started laughing and laughing! He was laughing so hard, he couldn't say anything for a minute, and he even grasped for something to say, which is very unusual for him! He thought it was hilarious, and is already plotting his revenge. My poor mom, Ben doesn't just get even, he will one up!
Mom tried to tie the balloons to his desk, but the knot came loose and the balloons floated up to the rafters above Ben's desk, and there they will stay until they deflate! Ben's reaction was hilarious, and his co-workers called him Benny, and one person asked if he could just call Ben "Boo", which was hilarious.
Ben walked us out after a few minutes, and then went back inside, naively believing the joke was over. But, as soon as he was inside the building (with no windows from his office to the parking lot), we decorated his car.

Mom was especially proud of the big Benny Boo on the back window.
Ben had a great time with the joke, being a very good sport and taking it for the fun that it was. He was still laughing throughout the day, and called me from the car wash-once he discovered his car! I came home to one line on my computer in our chat window, "Your mom is going to get it." :) His plans thus far are pretty funny, and I will be sure to post the retaliation once it happens! (Don't worry Mom, he's going to play nice...enough!)

As for the rest of the Valentine's Day, Ben brought me home a big red Valentine's Day bag, and inside were a whole bunch of treats that I LOVE but never buy for myself. I am very good at not buying junk food-even though I always want to. Some of the treats included Peanut M&Ms (all time favorite!), Sour Patch Watermelons, and gummy bears. Then, also inside the bag, was a note from Ben saying that he had been secretly saving up for blinds for our main floor windows!!! I am SO excited! I have Wal-Mart sheets hanging in the windows of the living room and kitchen, and blinds there instead will be awesome! He knows me very well, and knows that spoiling me with my favorite (but forbidden) treats is more fun to me than flowers, and that I have been wanting blinds for months and months! We had our traditional feast of deli food from Smith's. (Reminiscent of our first Valentine's Day together, we had a candlelit carpet picnic with deli food since we were poor.) Then, after the baby was in bed for the night, I had candles lit all over our room as a surprise for Ben, it was very romantic! :) I love my husband, he is absolutely amazing, treats me so incredibly well, and has made my life a joy!

1 comment:

Milko, Eve, Allison, And Joshua said...

This is so hilarious! I could not imagine your mom do something like that. What an amazing personality! :) Thanks for sharing. I had a good laugh reading, and pictures are amazing!